The earth bucks beneath your feet, just once, sharply. A nervous start.\n\nThe apex of the obelisk gathers a bright glow around itself, a glow which sharpens without warning into a brilliant beam of light. \n\nYou look upwards, to realize that there is not a moon nor a sun, but a planet overhead. It is quite distant, but you find that you can make out the edgings of what appear to be continents, oceans, greenery. \n\nThe patterns are unfamiliar and chaotic - greys and browns, clouds and smoke. There is a shadowed crescent running down one side of the mysterious globe, and within that shadow there are the sparking pinprick lights of heavy urbanization. \n\nYou lean back, watching. \n\nCurious to see what the light may bring.\n\n--Fin
<<set $Wisdom = true>>\n<<set $Enlightenment = 1>>\nYou gained a skill: ''Wisdom''!\n\nBetter safe than sorry. You step over onto safer ground, where you can turn and look at your point of origin.\n\nThe doorway is hanging in midair, about half a meter above the ground. Immediately in front and beneaht it is a pit. You wonder who would assemble such an arrangement, so whimsical and cruel. But maybe this is a cruel world. \n\nMaybe all worlds are cruel.\n\n[[Stop brooding and examine your surroundings|Look around]]
Your eyelids are heavy. You should open them, but you don't really feel motivated to do that. \n\nMaybe it would be better to just stay here, part of the dark and quiet.\n\nIf only your mind would be still. \n\n[[Think]]\n\n[[Feel]]
[[It's dark]]
You can hear the crystal sea pining for you, singing for you, waiting for you.\n\nIt will wait forever. \n\nThe trees of the forest seem to part at your approach, revealing a path no wider than a deer trail. \n\nClear liquids seep from mossy limbs, dripping into intricate beaded patterns upon the surfaces of great glistening cobwebs. Spiders play with these organic abaci, pushing droplets back and forth, performing calculations that define the parameters of their universe. \n\nYou wonder if they're adding up your value, as they silently watch you pass. \n\nEventually you come to a clearing.\n\n[[Step forward]]
They are predators. You decide to get primordial on them. \n\nAs the first creature charges you, hungry to rip you open and drink of your essence, you reinvent yourself. \n\nWith a flick of your mind, you become all essence. Back up the ladder of evolution, before hunting predation, before specialized systems, before cell structures, before everything else, there is you. \n\nThe first animal hunger.\n\nThe prokaryotic nightmare. \n\nNo identity. All feeding.\n\nYou engulf your attacker, who goes silent with a gurgling shriek. With a squeeze of willpower you strip it of identity, subsuming every facet of the creature into yourself. \n\nYou do this again, and again, growing with each victory. You are the size of a titan by the time you've finished, and the woods are thick with the silence left by your bloodless slaughter.\n\nThe obelisk begins to glow. \n\n[[Study the obelisk|Resolution]]
You're on a cliff, standing in ankle-deep blue-green grass that does not quiver in the breeze. In between gusts of wind, you catch the barest hint of a fragrance like elderflower.\n\nOver the cliff's edge is a violet ocean. When it crashes against the cliffside below, it sounds nothing like water. It has a chiming quality, like faraway sheets of crystal shattering in series. \n\nIn the opposite direction, the blue-clad terrain slopes gently downward until it meets a forest of old growth trees, drenched in mist. \n<<if $Focus>>\n[[Ignore the calling ocean, and investigate the forest|Forest]]\n<<endif>>\n<<else>>\n<<set $Meditate = 0>>\n<<set $Listen = 0>>\n\n[[Listen to the sound of the waves|Listen]]\n<<endif>>
You rise, testing your balance on shaky limbs. \n\nYou're in a small, cavernous chamber.\n\nYou have no idea how long you've been here. Or how you got here in the first place, or where you were before. \n\nThere is only one door.\n<<if $Scar>>\n[[Examine the door]] \n<<endif>>\n<<else>>\n[[Open the door]]\n<<endif>>
<<if $Wisdom = false>>\n\nThe clearing itself is well-lit, but between the trees all is lost in shadow, until one by one, twin gleams of light begin appearing among the branches. \n\nOr perhaps the lights were always there, and you have only now learned to see them.\n\nWait. Not lights.\n\nEyes.\n\n[[Use Bravery]]\n<<endif>>\n<<if $Bravery = false>>\n\nThe clearing itself is well-lit, but between the trees all is lost in shadow, until one by one, twin gleams of light begin appearing among the branches. \n\nOr perhaps the lights were always there, and you have only now learned to see them.\n\nWait. Not lights.\n\nEyes.\n\n[[Use Wisdom]] \n<<endif>>\n<<else>> \n\nThe clearing itself is well-lit, but between the trees all is lost in shadow, until one by one, twin gleams of light begin appearing among the branches. \n\nOr perhaps the lights were always there, and you have only now learned to see them.\n\nWait. Not lights.\n\nEyes.\n\n[[Use Bravery]]\n\n[[Use Wisdom]] \n<<endif>>
<<set $Bravery = true>>\n<<set $Enlightenment = 1>>\nYou gained a skill: ''Bravery''!\n\nYour new, larger size has enabled you to land with your limbs on either side of the pit. You can't make out any detail in the darkness beneath you. If you could, would you see yourself falling, landing on the hard earth below? \n\nDying? \n\nDid you die, before?\n\nVertigo and deja vu are making your legs tremble, so you step away from the pit to examine your surroundings. \n\n[[Breathe a sigh of relief|Look around]]
The creatures are reacting to you as either a potential threat or a source of nourishment. This is no doubt the role they are meant to play in their current habitat - defenders of the forest.\n\nAnd you can't shake the impression that they are mental phenomena in some way. You see them as fears, doubts, neuroses, each one representing the little spikes of fear that stab at a mind when it is discontent.\n\nBut these are the forces that drive us. Our fears and worries, the shadows cast by our desires. \n\nYou can see all of their eyes. \n\nYou reach out and, with an exertion of willpower, your vision fractures into dozens of different viewpoints as you take ownership of the shadow swarm. \n\nAfter all, you and they are hardly different.\n\nThe onslaught stops as soon as it began. You find that you can cause indivdual creatures to advance or retreat, if you try. It will take some time to learn to see through many eyes at once and still function, but for the moment you can simply orient around a single viewpoint and tune out the rest.\n\nThe obelisk begins to glow. \n\n[[Study the obelisk|Resolution]]
<<set $Eyes = true>>\n\nThe door becomes more real as you stare at it. Deep red wood breathes under the flaking varnish, revealed by deep gouges and claw marks. \n\nThere is a sigil carved into the center of the door.\n\n[[Examine the sigil]] \n\n[[Open the door]]
<<set $Meditate = $Meditate + 1>>\n<<if $Meditate eq 1>>\n\nYour software and your hardware are out of alignment. \n\nYou summon up the mantra and begin chanting it, focusing only on the blue box, then beyond it.\n\n[[Meditate]]\n\n[[Forget it|Blink]]\n<<endif>>\n<<if $Meditate eq 2>>\n\nYour software and your hardware are out of alignment. \n\nYou summon up the mantra and begin chanting it, focusing only on the blue box, then beyond it.\n\nThe words come as they always have, a language that crawls up your brainstem from a pure place beyond consciousness.\n\n[[Meditate]]\n\n[[Forget it|Blink]]\n<<endif>>\n<<if $Meditate eq 3>>\n\nYour software and your hardware are out of alignment. \n\nYou summon up the mantra and begin chanting it, focusing only on the blue box, then beyond it.\n\nThe words come as they always have, a language that crawls up your brainstem from a pure place beyond consciousness.\n\nYou're defragging, core clusters of identity grouping up in a pattern that begins to make more sense with each spin of the mental drive. \n\n[[Meditate]]\n\n[[Forget it|Blink]]\n<<endif>>\n<<if $Meditate eq 4>>\n\n<<set $Enlightenment = 2>>\n\nYou gained a skill: ''Enlightenment''!\n\nA chiming sound fills your bones, your bones which are become light, the light from the blue sky which is no longer above you but beneath you\n\nand vertigo is harmony\n\nand flight is melody\n\nand you are soaring up and out of this cavern that cannot hold you and never could.\n\n[[Fall]]\n<<endif>>
<<set $Scar = true>>\n\nThe blue is replaced by darkness. The dizzying sensation of end-over-end freefall scatters all of your perceptions into shadow.\n\nThere is a flash of white, a ringing sound inside your head and the burnt metal taste of unexpected cranial injury.\n\n[[Damn|It's dark]]
Cyclic Dream
<<set $Listen = $Listen + 1>>\n\n<<if $Listen eq 1>>\nThe sound is alien, but somehow relaxing.\n\nIt's a glitching mp3 on a summer's day\n\nthe sound of a record at the exact moment that it skips\n\nIt makes you shiver. \n\nThere's a beat to it. \n\n[[One|Listen]] \n<<endif>>\n<<if $Listen eq 2>>\nThe sound is alien, but somehow relaxing.\n\nIt's a glitching mp3 on a summer's day\n\nthe sound of a record at the exact moment that it skips\n\nIt makes you shiver. \n\nThere's a beat to it. \n\nOne \n\n[[Two|Listen]]\n<<endif>>\n<<if $Listen eq 3>>\nThe sound is alien, but somehow relaxing.\n\nIt's a glitching mp3 on a summer's day\n\nthe sound of a record at the exact moment that it skips\n\nIt makes you shiver. \n\nThere's a beat to it. \n\nOne \n\nTwo\n\n[[One, Two, Three, Jump|Jump]] \n<<endif>>
You land safely, limbs splayed on either side of a pit in the ground. \n\n[[Look down]]\n\n[[Step safely away|Step away]]
A runic carving in the shape of an eye.\n\nYou reach forward hesitantly. When you make contact with the wood, a rusty red liquid wells up from the eye shape as though you had broken an invisible scab. \n\nThere is a click, and the door swings open. \n\n[[Leave the chamber]]
From your new vantagepoint, you can see the characters on all three sides of the Obelisk at once. Each one pulses with a distinct rhythm. \n\nThey beg to be touched.\n\nWhich side will you choose?\n\n[[Fides|End]]\n\n[[Spes|End]]\n\n[[Caritas|End]]
\n\nYou don't know where you are. \n\nThis is usually the case right before you wake up, or right before you fall asleep. \n\nYou don't remember anything before realizing that it was dark. So this is probably waking up. \n<<if $Scar>>\nYou remember pain. It makes you reluctant to move.\n\n[[Ugh, no|Find the dream]]\n<<endif>> \n\n[[No use fighting it, open those eyes|Open your eyes]] \n\n\n\n
With dreamlike celerity, they are no longer among the branches.\n\nThese creatures are toxic to a normal consciousness. Most people cannot see them at all, you remember suddenly. Your level of enlightment allows you to perceive them, but even then, the perception is unclear. \n\nThey seem low-slung, pantherlike, with four or possibly six legs. They move like anxieties, frozen when you look directly at them, manifesting a cobra-like attentional magnetism while their brethren advance through your blind spots. \n\nThey gleam with anticipation, needled flesh whispering obscenities. They smell like succumbing, like failure. \n\n[[Death is not your master. Strike them down|Bravery 2]]
With dreamlike celerity, they are no longer among the branches.\n\nThese creatures are toxic to a normal consciousness. Most people cannot see them at all, you remember suddenly. Your level of enlightment allows you to perceive them, but even then, the perception is unclear. \n\nThey seem low-slung, pantherlike, with four or possibly six legs. They move like anxieties, frozen when you look directly at them, manifesting a cobra-like attentional magnetism while their brethren advance through your blind spots. \n\nThey gleam with anticipation, needled flesh whispering obscenities. They smell like succumbing, like failure.\n\n[[The world is a system, and that system is open to you. Understand them.|Wisdom 2]]
In the center of the clearing is an obelisk. \n\nYou walk around it, studying it from all sides. \n\nThe obelisk is tetrahedral and radiates a faint warmth. You can see three of its' sides. Each bears a large sigil. The fourth side, the groundward side, is hidden.\n\n[[What was that?]]
\n\nYou carry a sense of loss.\n\nIt's a a dull pulsation, right where heartburn lives, above the guts, slung low in the center of the abdomen. \n\nIt's faint. You can't remember why the feeling is there. Did you dream?\n<<if $Scar>>\nYou remember pain. It makes you reluctant to move.\n\n[[Find the dream]]\n<<endif>>\n\n[[Open your eyes]] \n\n
In front of you is a tiny blue box. \n<<if $Enlightenment eq 2>>\n<<set $Focus = true>>\nYou feel centered.\n\n<<endif>>\n<<else>>\n<<if $Enlightenment eq 1>>\nYour internal rhythms are askew. You feel off-balance.\n\n[[Meditate]]\n\n<<endif>>\n\n<<else>>\n[[Blink]]\n\n[[Reach out|Blink]] \n<<endif>> \n\n
There is a flash of blue accompanied by the searing pain of your hand wrenching free from the alien doorknob.\n\nThere's nothing under you.\n\n[[Fall]]
The slight movement helps you orient yourself. The back of your head is heavy. You're on your back, and the blue before you is the blue of the sky. It's the square outline of a shaft far above you, out of your reach.\n\n[[Get up]]
You're in midair, and everything is beautiful.\n\nEverything is noise, and you're a single note.\n\nUnafraid and unapologetic, you ride the wind.\n\nBeneath you the violet waves dissolve into triangular polyhedrons, and there is no wetness, only beautiful disintegration, the harmony of the void between stars. \n\n[[Fall]]
Everything is blue. \n<<if $Dream>>\n \n[[Land safely|Land]] \n<<endif>>\n<<else>>\n\n[[Fall]] \n<<endif>>
<<set $Dream = true>>\n\nYou scrunch your eyes shut. You can feel the little creases piling up between your brows and at the corners of your eyes. \n\nLittle lines, little ghost-years, haunting your features in the future, making them look lived in.\n\nYou feel like a falconer, holding your arm out, waiting for loose dreams to come winging out of the blue, to find their home in you.\n\nNo dreams come. Your sense of loss remains, faint but definite, creeping in as a blue sheen behind your lids. But you feel a little larger for making the effort.\n\n[[Open your eyes]]
Eidolon
You reach out to touch the handle, and immediately experience a searing pain.\n\nThe doorhandle is fastened hungrily onto your outstretched limb, chewing greedily with what feels like ringed rows of lamprey-like teeth. \n\nBefore you can react, the bizarre portal wrenches outwards. The motion jerks you forwards and sends you tumbling into space.\n\n[[Oh shit]]