The Energising Life of the Holy Spirit
27 April 2014
· Jn 16:7 “Nevertheless I tell you a truth, It is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you, but if I depart I will send Him to you.”
· Jesus important last words to His disciples before His death and resurrection
· “It is to your advantage” = it is profitable, you will be better off because of this.
· Jesus promise of the Holy Spirit – the helper – one who comes alongside as a coach, guide, friend.
· Lit. “You are much better off and advantaged by my leaving and returning to heaven.
· Holy Spirit – soon to dwell inside believers, remain with us – empower us to continue Jesus mission of changing the world.
2. You Need the Person and Power of the Holy Spirit
Phil. 2:13 “For it is God who works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure.”
· God = Person of Holy Spirit come to indwell and empower us.
· “Works” =NT1754= Energeo = to be mighty in, to be effective, to show forth self. Definition =Energize= “to give energy to, to rouse into activity, to put forth energy, pep up”
· Christianity without the Holy Spirit is empty, dead, draining, ineffective, striving to be good.
· Jesus key purpose: Remove issue of sin – Get us baptised and empowered by the Holy Spirit.
· Holy Spirit is the finger of God, the hand of God, the administrator of the Kingdom.
NB Four forces can work in us – energise us.
3. Sin Energises Us
· Rom.7:5 “…the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.” (isolation and separation).
· Sin is a spiritual force that works (energises) us – releases negative destructive energy.
· You can sense the energising power of sin.
e.g. Anger – energy that can be destructive and negative – you can feel it!
e.g. Lust – energy that can be destructive – you can feel it!
e.g. Fear – energy that can paralyse – You can feel it at work!
· The harder you try to overcome sin the stronger it seems to become.
· Laws – “Do Not” – have no power to change us they reveal sin at work.
· Cannot overcome sin by willpower and discipline.
· Problem is spiritual – the solution must be spiritual.
· Rom.8:1 = 1. Do not be condemned by presence and activity of sin.
2. Needs a greater power to overcome it.
4. Evil Spirits Can Energise Us
· Eph.2:2 “…the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience”.
· Evil spirits – they are spirit beings that have evil personalities and intention.
· Evil spirits gain entrance to people by sin, trauma experiences and generational curses.
· Evil spirits work in people – put forth energy and rouse into activity.
· You can feel the energising power of evil spirits (although may not recognise what it is).
e.g. Negative emotions – anger, frustration, fear, rejection and self pity.
Negative thoughts – inability to see good.
Heaviness – overwhelming weight, voices
Hopelessness – inability to get victory or even think change is possible.
· Evil spirits exercise spiritual power – you cannot overcome them just by willpower.
· Spiritual force needs a spiritual solution (James 4:7-8)
· Rom.8:2 Law of Spirit of Life in Christ has made me free of law of sin and death.
· Law = a governing force or power that is in place.
e.g. gravity – constant pull on every object towards the centre of the earth.
Example of a Plane
- Law of gravity holds a plane on the ground – exerts a constant force on it.
- You don’t get the plane off the ground by removing gravity.
- You get the plane off the ground by overcoming gravity with a greater force.
- Law of Aerodynamics – movement of airflow over the wing creates a lift.
- When the law of lift exerts a greater force the plane can take off.
- Forward momentum of the plane creates the airflow and upward lift.
· You overcome negative energy (work) of sin and demons by a greater force.
5. God’s Word Energises Us
· Ep1 Thess.2:13 “…the Word of God which works effectually in you that believe.”
· God’s Word has the power to energise us (Heb.4:12 Word of God is living, powerful).
· You can sense the energising life of the Word of God
e.g. Spirit rises up within – confidence and strength.
Become convicted, aware of sin, issues to resolve.
An Inner knowing.
NB How to Activate the energising Life of the Word of God
(i) Welcome and honour the Word of God (1Thess 2:13)
(ii) Choose to believe the Word of God (1Thess 2:13)
(iii) Meditate on the Word (1Tim 4:13)
(iv) Act on the Word (1Tim 4:15)
(v) Confess the Word (Heb 3:1)
(vi) Lean on the Holy Spirit to bring the Word to Life (2Cor.3:6)
6. Holy Spirit energises Us
· Eph.3:20 “…the power that works in us.”
· Col.1:29 “His working which works in me mightily”.
· You can sense the energising life of the Holy Spirit.
e.g. Spirit rises up, comes alive, flow of life – fruit
Mind has creative flowing thoughts
Hands – warmth, tingling flow of energy
Body – energises, fills with life
Work – flow of productive work, energises
NB How to Activate the Energising Life of the Holy Spirit
(i) Welcome and honour the Holy Spirit (1Sam 2:30)
(ii) Praying in Tongues (1Cor. 14:4,14)
(iii) Heartfelt Worship (Ps 95)
(iv) Listen and respond to the Voice of the Holy Spirit (Gal. 3:5)
(v) Set mind constantly on the things of the Spirit (Rom. 8:5)