The Gospel of the Kingdom
26 October 2014
· Mt.24:14 “And this Gospel of the Kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations and then the end will come.”
· World today is full of problems – Ebola, terrorism, Isis, poverty – people desperately need hope.
· Gospel = Good News! Jesus declared a global awakening before He returns.
· Witness = Evidence. Gospel of the Kingdom with demonstration of power = evidence of resurrection.
· Mt.4:23 “Jesus preached Gospel of Kingdom with power – healings, miracles, supernatural demonstration.”
2. What is the Kingdom of God?
(a) Natural Kingdom = rule, influence of a King exercised over a territory to govern people.
Natural Kingdom = territory where a King rules, his laws and culture are upheld.
(b) Kingdom of God = rule, realm where God rules over territories, people, spirits.
Kingdom =G932= realm, royalty, rule of a king rt = foundation of power.
Wherever God’s Kingdom is present – His will is obeyed, His power is demonstrated.
e.g. Mt.6:10 “Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
Mt.12:28 “If I cast out demons by the Spirit of God surely the Kingdom of God has come”
· The Holy Spirit is the executor of the Kingdom of God – without the Holy Spirit no Kingdom is established.
· The Kingdom of God is a spiritual Kingdom that prevails over the natural circumstances.
3. The Impact of the Kingdom of God
(a) It overthrows the Works of the Devil
· Mt.12:28 “If I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the Kingdom of God has come”
Cast out =G1544= to eject, to hurl out by superior force, to throw down.
· Jesus demonstrated the Kingdom of God by overthrowing the works of the devil – sin overcome, broken hearts healed, deliverance, healing, release from poverty.
· The Kingdom of God is a superior Kingdom, a prevailing Kingdom (Dan.2:44), a spiritual Kingdom.
(b) It brings Liberty and Freedom
· 2 Cor.3:17 “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty.”
· Liberty =G1657= Freedom, unrestrained, no longer a slave, free to go at pleasure.
· Wherever the Holy Spirit is made Lord – given rule over our life – there is freedom.
· No freedom = Holy Spirit is not given control, something else is in control.
(c) It brings transformed lives
· Rom.14:17 “For the Kingdom of God is not meat and drink, but righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost.”
· The Kingdom of God is not external – it is internal Lk.17:21 “It is within you.”
· The Holy Spirit becomes joined to our spirit when we receive Jesus Christ as Saviour.
· The result of surrendering to the Holy Spirit and bringing our old nature to the Cross.
(i) Righteousness = right relationship with God
(ii) Peace = internal calm and rest no matter what external circumstances
(iii) Joy = internal delight and joy no matter what external circumstances
· 1 Cor.4:20 “For the Kingdom of God is not in word but in power (line missing)
4. The Gospel of the Kingdom
(a) Gospel Means ‘Good News’
· Every religion has ‘good news’ – a message that it proclaims.
· Only the gospel of the Kingdom of God is accompanied by supernatural power of God.
· Gospel is a message of hope that the presence and power of God is at hand to ???
(b) Diluted Gospel
· Gospel proclaimed today often void of presence and power of God – diluted.
· 1 Cor.2:4 “My speech and preaching was not with persuasive words of human wisdom but in demonstration of the Spirit and Power of God.”
· Rom.15:19 “Make the gentiles obedient through mighty signs and wonder, by the power of the Spirit of God so that …. I have fully preached the gospel.”
(i) Historical Gospel
· Believes in the God of history who did miracles – don’t believe God does miracles today.
· Talks about what God once did in personal life – no current revelation.
(ii) Entire Gospel
· Message is forgiveness of sin and heaven ‘one day’.
· Message is God can bring healing, deliverance, revival ‘one day’ (future)
· Message is meeting needs in society, hunger, poverty, injustice.
· NB key part of Kingdom living is serving people, meeting needs.
· Message ignores presence and power of God available to transform now.
(iv) Motivational Gospel
· Message is self improvement without the Cross, resurrection and power of God.
· Focus on keys to help yourself, improve yourself, prosper yourself.
· Neglect presence, power, serving, giving.
(v) Mystical Gospel
· Message is in personal experiences with Gold, angels and the spirit realm.
· Ignores clear mandate, serve others, build community, make disciples, impact lives.
(c) Gospel of Kingdom
· Mt.10:7-8 Preach-heal-cleanse lepers – raise the dead – cast out demons.
· There is a King who has all authority and power.
· He is seated on a throne in heaven.
· His Kingdom is in the process of coming to earth.
· His name is Jesus Christ.
· He has come to redeem us from sin, heal the broken heart, deliver captives, heal the sick, bring prosperity to the poor.
· His Kingdom is available here and now to you.
· You can enter His Kingdom and experience it life now if you repent and believe.
· He calls you to serve Him by being fruitful and advancing His Kingdom in the territory and sphere of influence He has given you.
· He is willing to empower you by His Spirit to operate supernaturally (line missing)