The Gospel of the Kingdom
5 October 2014
· Mt.6:33 “Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you.”
· This is a key verse for our lives – with great promise attached.
· When you place Kingdom of God first there is supernatural addition to your life in every area.
2. What is the Kingdom of God?
· Kingdom =G932 = “basileia” = royalty, rule, realm, royal power and dominion.
· Root word = Foundation of power (G935)
· Earthly Kingdom = rule, influence, will of a King exercised over a territory for purpose of governing people.
· Kingdom Heaven = rule, realm, dominion where God governs over territories, people, spirits.
· Wherever God’s Kingdom governs, His will is manifested, His power is demonstrated and every work of the enemy must depart.
· Mt.12:28 “If I cast out spirits by the Spirit of God then the Kingdom of God is come unto you.”
(i) Deliverance is a manifestation of the Kingdom of God tangibly on earth.
(ii) Where there is no manifestation of Power of God – no Kingdom of God, only theology. (1 Cor.4:20)
(iii) The Kingdom of God is His dominion exercised on earth as it is in heaven. (Mt.6:10)
(iv) God’s Kingdom impacts the physical visible world through men and women of faith.
(v) The Holy Spirit is the administrator and executor of the Kingdom of God on earth.
(vi) The Kingdom of God is revealed by supernatural demonstrations of power.
3. Key Characteristics of the Kingdom of God
(i) Spiritual Kingdom
Jn 18:36 “My Kingdom is not of this world.”
· God’s Kingdom is not a physical kingdom – it is a spiritual kingdom located in heaven.
· Because it is a spiritual kingdom it is not subject to physical laws.
· God’s Kingdom is established within our spirit by the presence of the Holy Spirit. (Lk.17:20)
· God’s Kingdom reveals itself through supernatural signs and miracles.
· God’s Kingdom will one day manifest fully upon the earth when Jesus returns.
(ii) Powerful Kingdom
1 Cor.4:20 “The Kingdom of God is not in Word but in Power (Dunamis – supernatural power).”
· The Kingdom of God is never meant to be proclaimed without demonstrations of power.
· Mt.4:23-24 “Jesus preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom, and healing all kinds of disease.”
· Mt.11:3-6 Jesus – response to John – look at the miracles. They are evidence of the Kingdom.
· Lk.9:1-2 Apostles – sent to preach the Kingdom, heal the sick and cast out devils.
· 1 Thess.1:5 Paul “Our gospel did not come to you in word only but in power and the Holy Ghost.”
· The Kingdom of God is not just words, theology, teaching – it is meant to be proclaimed with demonstrations of power.
· Power over: sin; sickness; evil spirits; poverty; death. (Satan’s kingdom).
(iii) Superior Kingdom
Mt.28:18 “All authority has been given to me in heaven and in earth.”
· Jesus demonstrated total dominion over sin, sickness, spirits, poverty, death.
· At the Cross and resurrection He prevailed over every weapon and all power of Satan – total victory.
· As sons of His Kingdom we share in His victory (Lk. 10:19 I give you authority …)
· Dan 2:44 “The God of heaven will set up a Kingdom which shall never be destroyed …. It shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms.”
(iv) Unshakeable Kingdom
Heb.12:28 “We receiving a Kingdom which cannot be shaken.”
· What is established by God is unshakeable – cannot be moved – it is an overcoming Kingdom.
· Everything in the world will be shaken and is being shaken now – roots uncovered.
· Only secure place to be in the Kingdom of God under the covering and direction of the Holy Spirit.
· Nothing can defeat the man or woman who is under the authority of the Kingdom of God. (Mt. 7:26).
(v) Available Now
Mt.4:17 “Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand.”
· “At hand” = G1448 = to be near, to be upon you now, ie is available now.
· Jesus focus was not something future, but a Kingdom available here and now.
· The Kingdom of heaven is an eternal reality now – not limited by space or time.
4. The Gospel of the Kingdom
· The Gospel proclaimed today in many places is void of the presence and power of God.
e.g. Examples of Gospels that have replaced the Gospel of the Kingdom.
(i) Historical Gospel – lacks presence and power of God
(a) Believes in God of history who did miracles – don’t believe God will do miracles today.
(b) Talk about what God once did in personal life – no current revelation of what God is doing now.
(ii) Future Gospel – lacks presence and power of God
(a) Message is forgiveness of sin and heaven “one day” – no emphasis on ruling with Christ now.
(b) Message is God can bring healing, deliverance, breakthrough, revival – “one day”
(iii) Social Gospel – lacks presence and power of God
(a) Message is on meeting needs in society, hunger, poverty, injustice.
(b) Key part of Kingdom living is serving people and meeting needs.
(c) Message ignores presence and power of God to transform now.
(iv) Motivational Gospel
(a) Message is self improvement without the Cross, resurrection, power of God
Provides practical keys to help yourself, improve yourself, reach personal goals.
(b) Message is on prosperity – focused on money, material good.
Neglects key areas of serving, giving, prayer and holiness.
(vi) Physical Gospel
(a) Message focuses on personal experiences with God, spirit realm, angels.
(b) Ignores the clear mandate to serve others, build community, make disciples of Christ.
· Key evidence of the Kingdom of God distinguishes from all other gospels in the supernatural evidence of God’s presence and power = salvation, healing, deliverance.
· Kingdom is available now – enter by (i) Born Again (ii) Repentance (iii) Faith.
2 Cor. 13:5 “Examine self whether be in faith”.