Our Legacy in Christ
6 April 2014
· Legacy = What you leave behind for others – the imprint and impact of your life.
- Can be physical/tangible or intangible = example, values, experiences, teaching.
· Every person has the power to influence others, to leave a legacy.
· Mathew 28:19 “Go therefore, make disciples!”
· Inheritance = property passing at owner’s death to the heir, those entitled to succeed.
· DT.15:4 “… the Lord will greatly bless you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you to possess as an inheritance”
OT - The land of Canaan was given to Abraham by God and to his heirs.
The land was an inheritance – part of Abraham’s legacy to successive
The land given, had to be possessed, and then held onto and cultivated.
· “Possess” =OT3423= to occupy by driving out, overcoming previous occupants.
· Jesus also left us a legacy, an inheritance as a gift to be possessed by faith.
2. Jesus Promise to Each of Us
Jn 14:16-18 “I will pray to the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever, even the Spirit of Truth …”
· One of the key purposes of Jesus coming was to send forth the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit would bring unlimited access to the presence, life and power of God.
· Jesus Legacy (i) His Example – Demonstrated what man filled with the Holy Spirit is like.
(ii) His Words – Shared insights to the Kingdom of God.
(iii) His Death/Resurrection – Broke the power of sin, death, curses.
(iv) His Gift – the Holy Spirit – God in us – we become house of God.
· Gal. 3:13-14 “Redeemed … so that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Jesus Christ, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith”.
· The land Abraham received is a picture of the true inheritance we receive – the Holy Spirit.
3. God Himself is Our Inheritance
· Eph. 1:13-14 “… you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise who is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession.
· “Sealed” = NT4972 = to ??? with a signal or private mark for security.
· “Earnest” = NT728 = pledge, deposit, part of the purchase money given in advance as a security of the rest of the payment.
· “Inheritance” =NT2817 Heir-ship, to receive a legacy.
· Sealed with the Spirit = the baptism of the Holy Spirit – power of God coming upon us and filling us with the life of God.
· Eph. 1:18 “That eyes of understanding being enlightened, that you might know what is the hope of your calling, what are the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the Church.
The inheritance is within us – the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
· 2 Cor. 4:7 “We have this treasure, Christ, in earthen vessels …”
· OT Num.18:20 The priests did not receive land – God was their inheritance.
· Our Inheritance
(1) Given to us by promise (2) Holy Spirit indwelling and empowering (3) To be possessed – there is resistance we must overcome to access this inheritance.
· 1 Cor.2:11-14 “We have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
- One work of the indwelling Holy Spirit is to reveal and to give us access to all the things God has provided for us in Christ.
- Why do Christians have so little when given so much?
(i) Despise the spiritual realities e.g. Esau Gen 25:34
(ii) Carnal, natural mind – tend to think as we did before we came to Christ
(iii) Walls and barriers of unbelief in heart – reactions to being hurt.
(iv) Demonic resistance and pressure to live out of old nature.
4. Obtaining Our Inheritance
· Everything in the Kingdom of God is obtained by faith.
· Rom.5:2 “Through whom we also have access by faith into this grace”.
(a) Receive Jesus Christ as Saviour
Jn.3:3 “…unless one is born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God.”
(b) Receive the Promise of the Holy Spirit
Act.19:2-6 “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” When Paul laid hands on them the Holy Spirit came upon them and they spoke with tongues and prophesised.
Mk.11:22 Keys to receiving the Holy Spirit:
(1) Desire, (2) Ask, (3) Believe, (4) Receive, (5) Respond by praying in tongues.
(c) Constant filling of the Holy Spirit
· Place love and value upon the Holy Spirit person and presence in your life.
· Must by a deliberate act of will to choose to draw upon the life of God within you – 1Cor.6:17 “You are one spirit with the Lord”.
· Jn 7:38 “Out of your innermost being shall flow rivers …”
(1) See differently - Perspective! New creation, God within, Treasure, DNA.
(2) Think differently – Mind sets! Complete in Christ, have all things.
(3) Speak Differently – Words! Pray in tongues – speak the Word of God, don’t grieve the Holy Spirit.
(4) Act Differently – Actions! Intentionally stretch to serve people.