3 February 2013
· Heb. 12:1-2 “...Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith ….”
· Each of us is called to keep our eyes fixed upon Jesus – He is the One we must follow.
· Key: Foundational issues that is at the heart of conflict throughout the world.
1) Who is Jesus? 2) How will I respond to Him?
· Mt.16:13-17 “Who do you say I am?”
· Location Caesarea – centre of Roman Government, place of worship of god Pan, near Golan Height.
· Pharisees knew Bible – but missed Jesus – He didn’t come as they expected.
· Crowd thought Jesus was: Elijah (Passion), John (Passion), Jeremiah (Compassion).
· Peter had revelation by Holy Spirit: You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God.
· How you see Jesus affects how you relate to Him – Holy Spirit’s work is to reveal Him. (Jn.16:14).
2. The Three-Fold Revelation of Jesus
· Rev.1:1 “The revelation of Jesus Christ which God gave him to show His servants …”
· Main Theme of the Book of Revelation is the person, power and plan of Jesus Christ. Jesus is returning to take leadership of the earth in partnership with His people.
Rev.1:7 “Behold He is coming with the clouds and every eye shall see Him”.
Rev.5:10 “You have made us Kings and Priests to our God and we shall reign on earth”.
· Rev.1:3 - There are 24 distinct aspects of His Kingly Majesty and Glory.
(a) Jesus is a Passionate Bridegroom
· Key Questions we want to ask?
(i) Who is Jesus? (ii) What does He do? (iii) How will I respond?
· Revelation uncovers Jesus to be: Bridegroom; King; and Judge.
· Rev.19:6-9 “…the marriage of the lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready”.
Jesus is the passionate bridegroom!
He is passionate in His love for people.
He pursues us to reach out in relationship and intimacy.
He proposes and initiates a covenant relationship with us.
He rescues us from sin, iniquity and bondage.
· How will you respond to Jesus the Passionate Bridegroom?
(b) Jesus is the Sovereign King
Rev.19:11-16 “He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written, King of Kings and Lord of Lords”.
· Jesus has sovereign power and authority to rule.
· Jesus will intervene and overthrow unrighteous government.
· Jesus is a King – He rules a Kingdom not a Democracy.
· No one will be able to resist His power and authority.
· He will establish righteous government in the earth.
· How will you respond to Jesus the Sovereign King?
(c) Jesus is a Righteous Judge
Rev.19:11-15 “…in righteousness He judges and makes war”.
· Jesus is a righteous judge who calls all men to account.
· He will confront and overpower every hindrance to love and justice.
· He sees to the root of issues and will both punish and reward people.
· How will you respond to Jesus the righteous judge?
(d) These three Aspects of Jesus are Revealed throughout the Bible
e.g. David wrote on it (Ps 2:8-12)
John Baptist preached on it (Jn.3:29-31; Mt.3:1-12)
Jesus taught on it Mt.25:1-13 - The Bridegroom and Virgins
Mt.25:14-23 - The King
Mt.25:31-46 - The Judge
3. We need Revelation of All Three Aspects of Jesus’ Nature
(a) Partial knowledge leads to deception
· People tend to focus on the aspect they like.
· This distorts your view of who Jesus is – really is.
· This misleads and misrepresents.
(b) Balance is needed
· Jesus as Bridegroom without King or Judge = sentimentality, (Rom.6:1), Compromise.
· Jesus as King without Bridegroom or Judge = Authoritarian, hard, (Mt.25:24).
· Jesus as Judge without Bridegroom or King = Harsh, judgemental, (another spirit Lk. 9:54).
Who is Jesus to You?
Which of the three aspects of Jesus most strongly impacted you?
How will you respond to Jesus?