The Power of the Resurrection
31 March 2013
· Rom. 15:13 “Now, may the God of hope, fill you with joy and peace through believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Ghost”.
· The God we serve is a God of hope – he desires we abound in hope.
· Followers of Christ should be the most positive people, positive influence – full of hope.
· Foundational to our faith is the resurrection of Christ – Death is not the end.
· God can breathe life into situations without hope! – He is the God of hope! E.g. marriage, family, finances, lost dreams, disappointments.
· God breathed life into the dry bones in Ezekiel and they became an army.
2. The Power Released at Jesus Death
· Math.27:50-54 “Jesus cried out with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit”
· “Loud” =NT3173= Megas = an exceeding loud shout, shout of triumphant victory.
· Power released at Jesus Death.
(i) “The veil of the temple torn in two from top to bottom.”
· Forgiveness of sins released.
· Barrier between man and God removed (2 Cor.3:13) – end to the old system.
· Access now possible to the very presence of God for all men (Heb. 4:16)
· Barrier between Jew and Gentile removed – now united in Christ (Eph. 2:14-16)
(ii) “The earth quaked”
· The whole region around Christ’s death was violently shaken.
· Extraordinary release of power from heaven accompanying Jesus sacrifice.
(iii) “The rocks were split”
· Rocks = the hardest part of the earth – yielded to the power of God and split open.
· Hardest of heart, hardest situation able to be broken open by the power of God.
(iv) “The graves were opened”
· The earthquake was massive – energy targeted the graves and tombs and split them wide open so the dead bodies could be seen.
· Consequences of sin =death= open and exposed for all to see (Rom.3:23).
· Jn. 19:14 That day was preparation for the Passover the next day – graves remained open for the Passover, unleavened bread, Saturday Passover.
· Most likely the graves were attended to by people for all that time making it impossible for anyone to steal Jesus’ body.
3. Power Released at Jesus Resurrection
· Matt. 28:1-2 “There was a great earthquake …”
(i) “A great earthquake” (Gk seismos)
· Again the earth shook as the power of God was released.
(ii) “The stone rolled away”
· Supernatural power of God released – Angel moved the sealed stone from the entrance of the tomb – sign of Christ’s victory!
· The Roman soldiers were rendered powerless – all might of Rome unable to stop it.
· E.g. valley of dry bones in Ezekiel 37 – shaking and great noise.
· Angelic manifestation – tomb open to let the women in to see!
(iii) “Many bodies of the saints named” (Mt.27:52-53)
· Jesus arose from the dead – 10 recorded sightings of Jesus.
· Mary; the women; Peter; 10x disciples; 11x disciples; Road to Emmaus; 500+ people; James and Apostles; Paul; at the ascension.
· Others arose with Jesus and entered Jerusalem – appeared too many.
4. Resurrection Power is Available to Us Now!
· Acts 1:8 “You shall receive power – you shall be witnesses to Me.”
· The same power that raised Christ from the dead – The Holy Spirit is available to us to fulfil God’s purpose through us.
· We are responsible to choose to believe and receive God’s provision.
e.g. Judas: Sorrow over sin – committed suicide.
· If God can raise a man from the dead He can change your life today.
· What is stopping me receiving God’s forgiveness, receiving Christ today?
· What is hindering you receiving the Holy Spirit power today?
· What situation are you facing currently which is filled with grief, hopelessness, despair, disappointment?
· Will you invite Christ into that situation now and let control go to him?