1st September 2013
2. Honour brings Blessing
· Eph 6:2-3 Honour your father and mother which is the first commandment with a promise that it may be well with you, and you may live long in the earth.
· Honour = G5091 = to fix a value upon, to place weight upon, respect, to prize, to hold in heart with value as someone precious.
· Honour is our gift – it is something we do from heart.
(i) Relationships and success in life. (ii) Physical health.
e.g. Boy in Singapore – spirit of infirmity => bitterness in heart to Father.
3. Fathers Shape The Hearts of Children
· Fathering a child is a physical act – becoming a Father is a spiritual issue a heart issue.
· Role of Father is more than providing for daily needs – food, shelter, education.
- when that is done the father thinks his worth is finished.
of Father is to shape the heart of children to fulfill destiny.
e.g. prodigal son – lost money – gained legacy. (Luk 15)
· Luke 3:21-22 God the Father impacts the heart of His Son.
a) Free access – open heaven => open heart to connect in covenant relationship.
b) Words of Identity => You are my beloved Son.
c) Words of Affirmation => Beloved; Well pleased
d) Touch => Spirit of God came upon Him
e) Legacy => Spirit of God is Spirit of Sonship – ever present guarding & disciplining.
Heb 2:8 Through Son – learned obedience.
4. Jesus Revealed True Sonship.
a) Intimate heart relationship. (Jn 1:30 ‘I and the Father are one.’)
b) Reflected Fathers DNA/Character. (Jn 14:9 ‘has seen me has seen the Father’)
c) Obedience. (Jn 5:19 ‘do only things if see Father doing’)
d) Strong sense personal destiny. (Heb 12:2 ‘For joy set before him, he endured cross’)
e) Honour. (Jn 17:4 ‘if have glorified you on the earth’)
f) Legacy. (Jn 20:21 ‘As the Father sent me so I am sending you’)
5. The Offer of Spiritual Sonship.
Jn 1:12 ‘As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe on His name.’
· We are all one decision from becoming a child of God.
· We all must clearly decide to live out our sonship.
· Change begins when we recognize our need and let Holy Spirit turn our heart!
· What feelings/responses arise when you hear the word Father?
· Are there any unresolved issues with your father, that Holy Spirit is prompting you to face and forgive?
· What do you need to do to give your father gifts of honour?
· Have you come to know God as your heavenly Father?