Challenge of Change
24th November 2013
· Change is always uncomfortable – we prefer the comfort zone, place of safety.
· Change is essential to keep us moving in what God is doing.
· Change is an opportunity to grow deeper in faith and experience more of God.
· E.g. Mark 4:35 “Let us cross over to the other side” => vision of harvest of opportunity.
· E.g. Joshua – Time of change – of harvest.
2. Focus on God – not in People and Circumstances.
· Josh 1:1-2 “Moses my servant is dead – now therefore arise”.
· People were focused on grief, loss, disappointment about unexpected change.
· Grieving is appropriate to recognize loss.
· Gods directive: Let go past – focus on God and His purposes – unchanging.
Change is uncomfortable – turn focus to Jesus to hear Him
Heb 13:5 “I will never leave you or forsake you”.
3. Expect Gods Grace to Overcome Challenges
· Josh 3:14-17 “The waters that came down from upstream stood still”.
· This time of harvest was the worst possible time to cross the Jordon.
· Natural circumstances seemed impossible – Gods word – Go forward (Jer 49:19)
· So they went forward – God moved on their behalf – heaven came to earth
Don’t focus on the swollen river, the lions, the
difficulty – expect God.
Heb 4:15 “Come boldly to throne of grace” – affirm mercy and grace to help.
4. Walk in New Covenant Love.
· Josh 5:2-8 “Circumcise the sons of Israel again the second time”.
· Circumcision was the outward evidence of the old covenant.
· Our circumcision is one of the heart by the spirit (Rom 2:29)
· Process is painful, vulnerable – process of repentance and faith.
We are called to walk in New Covenant Love…
Jn 13:35 “By this will men know you are my disciples if you have love one another”.
· E.g. Lk 9:51-56 “Shall we call down fire from heaven?”
· Jesus rejected by Samaritans – acted badly towards Him.
· Could have been a blessing but they rejected Him, refused Him access.
· Issue was personal opinion – temple issue Jn 4:20, 24
Disciples reaction: Shall we call down fire from heaven?
– judgment as Elijah did. They operated out of OT thinking => judgment,
v55 “You don’t know what spirit you are!”
· Pride, anger, personal revenge, covered with zeal and justified in their minds.
· Spirit of Christ is loving spirit!
to save not destroy”
Matt 5:44 “Love your enemies, bless those who curse you.”
We can call fire of judgment from heaven by how we speak
- criticize, judge, speak evil of others.
e.g. (i) People choose to leave – don’t judge, speak evil of them, pray and bless
(ii) People choose to stay- don’t judge, speak evil of them, pray and bless
· “Don’t know what spirit you are of” – pride, bitterness, hate, anger
When we attack believers with words we attack
Christ the head
Eph 4:29-5:2 “Walk in love – don’t grieve Holy Spirit”
5. Expect Fresh Encounter and Revelation.
· Josh 5:13-6:2 “He lifted His eyes and looked and behold a Man stood”
· Expect fresh encounter and experiences with Jesus.
· Jesus did not take sides – he is the Head and expects all to submit
People tend to
focus on who is right and who is wrong?
are you for us or against us?
· Jesus is Head and Commander – He directs people.
· When Joshua yielded – he received fresh revelation – vision of victory.
Our best days are ahead
Jer 29:11 “I know the thoughts I think towards you, thoughts of peace not evil, to give you a future and a hope”.