Hearing the Voice of God
25 November 2012
· Mk.1:17-18 ““Follow Me and I will make you become fishers of men. They immediately left their nets and followed Him”
· Each of us is called by God to be connected to Jesus and to “Follow Him”.
· Foundational to following Jesus is hearing and responding to Him speaking.
2. Communication is Essential to Relationship
· Jn.10:27 “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me”.
· If we belong to Christ we havge the capacity to hear Him speak to us.
· Communication is essential to cultivate and develop relations.
Communication = active listening and responding.
· Without communication relationships wither and die, they become sterile.
· When did you last hear God speak to you?
What did He say to you?
What are you doing about it? – How are you responding?
· Jesus cautions (i) Gospels: He that have ears to hear – let him hear (8x)
(ii) Revelations: He that has an ear to hear what the Spirit is saying to the churches (7x)
· Mk.4:23-25 “For whoever has (ears to hear) more shall be given”.
· God speaks to us individually and corporately we must listen and respond!
· When we are no longer hearing the Holy Spirit we become passive, spiritually asleep.
· Two helps (i) Sundays: Bring Bible – take notes – listen for the Holy Spirit
(ii) Small Group: Ask one another questions – What is the Holy Spirit saying to you? How are you responding?
3. What does the Voice of God sound like?
· 1 Cor.6:17 “He that is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him”.
· We are joined spirit to spirit with Jesus – constantly connected to Him.
· He lives within our hearts and desires to reveal Himself within us.
· The more we become aware of His presence the easier to hear His voice.
· He is not some nebulous force but a person with thoughts, feelings, personality.
· Jn.7:37-39 “Out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water”.
· God’s spirit within us “flows” like a river = is spontaneous, moving.
· Western lifestyle focus on the mind and reason – Bible focus is on being Spirit conscious.
· The movement of the Holy Spirit is flowing, spontaneous words, thoughts, pictures, impressions and feelings.
· God’s voice is like a still small voice within us (1 Kg.19:12).
4. Common Hindrances to Hearing God Speak
· Listening to God =- listening in to spontaneous words, thoughts, pictures, impressions, feelings within. These are easily blocked or hindered.
· Common Hindrances:
i) Hidden sins iv) Having “mind-sets” or idols in the heart
ii) Disappointment with God v) Over dependence on mind and reasoning
iii) Unresolved grief and offence vi) Demonic oppression
· Inner impressions that we receive can come from three different sources
(i) Self – selfish (ii) Evil Spirits – evil, demanding (iii) Holy Spirit – good!
5. Keys to Hearing the Holy Spirit speak (Hab.2:2)
(i) Free Up Your Spirit
· If your spirit is weighed down there is little or no flow.
· Speak in tongues – activate your spirit (1 Cor. 14:14,4)
· Soft music can help.
(ii) Focus Your Thoughts
· Fix your thoughts upon Jesus – use a picture from Scripture.
· Remove external distractions.
· Press through internal distractions by focussing/fixing your thoughts.
· In order to see you need to look – fix your mind on Jesus the Source.
(iii) Faith – Expect to Receive
· Expect to receive spontaneous thoughts, words, impressions, pictures, feelings as you still your heart and look.
· It is easy to think that God won’t speak to me.
· Faith is based on what God says “My sheep hear my voice!”
· Voice =NT5456= Phone = sound, frequency, tone, voice, words.
(iv) Feel – Identify the Impressions You Receive
· Identify the flow of thoughts, ideas, words, pictures, impressions.
· Value them as being a flow of the River of God.
· Write them down (journal) expecting more to come.
6. Process What You have Received
Test it Respond to It
· Agree with the Word of God? What must I do?
· Edify, Comfort or Exhort?
· Open to the Counsel of Others?
· Exalt Jesus or Self?
· Fruit of Peace?