22 April 2012
· Rev.19:7-8 “l..His wife has made herself ready and to her was granted to be arrayed in fine linen clean and white, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints”.
· This is a great event to be held in the future – we are all called to this great event.
· “Made herself ready” =NT2090= to prepare oneself for a special event.
· “To her was granted” =NT1325= to give, gift given in acknowledgement of readiness.
· Bride is given garments for this special occasion – eternal garments.
· We need to understand the significance of this and how it relates to daily life.
2. To receive Garments = To bestow honour or reward
· There are a number of examples of this throughout the Bible:
(a) Joseph received garments as a reward
Gen.41:42 The pharaoh took his signet ring off his hand and put it on Joseph’s hand, and he clothed him in garments of fine line, and put a gold chain around his neck”.
(b) Mordecai received garments as a reward
Esther 6:6-10 “Let a royal robe be brought … that he may array the man the King delights to...”
(c) Joseph received garments – Father’s Love Gen 37:3
(d) Overcoming believers receive garments as a reward
Rev.3:4-6 “He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments”
(e) The High Priest received garments to honour his office
Exod.28:2-4 “You shall make holy garments … for glory and for beauty”
The clothing of the priesthood Aaron and sons (vs40) were designed by God himself.
The clothing was for glory and for beauty (splendour, distinction, rank)
· In each case the garments given were a reward and acknowledgement of rank and honour.
3. Eternal Garments are Expressions of God’s Glory and Beauty
(a) Forget the natural ideas people have!
· People think in eternity we will all walk around in long white robes – all the same
· God is immensely creative. Heaven is filled with beauty – so will the garments be
· Exod.28:2-4 “…garments for glory and beauty”.
· God has designed clothing for every person in eternity – diverse colours and range
· God designed clothing of priesthood – he places value on clothing, image
(b) God clothes Himself in Light
· Ps.104:2 “You are clothed with honour and majesty, who covers yourself in light as a garment”.
· 1 Tim.6:16 “...dwelling in inapproachable light …”
· God clothes himself in light that conceals the glory and majesty of His person.
· Rev.4:2-3 He who set on (the throne) was like a jasper and a sardins stone…”
· Jasper = diamond like; sardins = deep red
(c) Jesus revealed this glory at His Transfiguration
· Mk.9:2-3 “His clothes became shining and exceeding white like snow….”
· Mt.17:2 “...His face shone like the sun and His clothes became as white as light”.
(d) The Eternal Garments of the Bride are Radiant
· Rev.19:8 “Arrayed in fine linen clean and white …”
· ‘White’ =NT2986= Lampros = to be radiant, to shine like a lamp, to emit light.
· Rev. 3:5 “Overcomers shall be clothed in white garment”.
· ‘White’ =NT3022= light, brilliant, bright.
· John is trying to describe not the colour but the radiant brightness of the garment.
(e) Rewards Will vary in Eternity
· Mt.16:27 “…then will He reward each one according to their works”
· Reward =NT591= recompense, give back again.
· Since the works done by believers differ so too will the rewards.
There will be different ranks of honour and reward, also garments that differ in brightness.
The brightness will reveal the status and stature we have been given in the Age to come.
· 1 Cor. 3:13-15 “Every man’s work will be evaluated – some rewarded, some suffer loss”.
4. Failure to Receive Garments = Loss of Honour or Reward
(a) Jesus warned of the possibility of loss
· Rev.16:15 “Blessed is He who stays awake and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame”
· Watching is always associated with prayer and spiritual diligence.
· Jesus warns of the possibility of believers being naked and ashamed.
· E.g. Adam and Eve – lost garments of glory and became naked and ashamed. – they lost their role and rank of authority and honour.
(b) Jesus warned a Church of its Nakedness
· Rev.3:15-18 “…you are poor, blind and naked”
· Jesus is speaking to a lukewarm church – their condition = naked.
· To be naked or shamed in eternity is to be lacking the reward of eternal garments.
· To receive the reward of clothing is to be given honour for how we lived life for Christ.
(c) Paul also warned the church about possibility of nakedness
· 2 Cor. 5:1-4 “…if indeed having been clothed (resurrected) we shall not be found naked”.
5. Jesus Counsel – Buy White Garments
· Rev.3:18 “I counsel you to buy of me … white garments”
· Buy of me” = this can only be obtained through relationship with Jesus.
· Buy gold = engage in the process of growing in faith and intimacy.
· Buy raiment = cannot earn the garments; position self in way that costs personally.
(i) Develop Intimacy with Jesus – life of abiding in love for Jesus
1 Jn.2:28 “Abide in Him that when He appears we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming”.
(ii) Develop lifestyle of Generosity and Kindness to People
The Bible constantly connects righteousness with justice, mercy, generosity to people.
e.g. Prov. 29:7; Ps.37:21; Jer.22:17 To know me = judge the cause of the poor and needy.