Taming the Tongue – Part 4
25 November 07
· James 3:3-8 - The tongue directs the course of our life like a bridle or a rudder.
· The words we speaks impacts our relationships, our personal health and destiny.
· The words we agree with in our hearts and speak with our mouth shape our present and determine our future.
· Words are containers – they carry a ‘spirit’ content.
Words are seeds – they are living seeds that produce fruit when spoken.
What words are you releasing into the world around.
2. Devine Design:
- Follower = 3402 = imitate, mimic, to speak and act like another.
- We are called to imitate our Heavenly Father – to speak and act like Him, represent Him.
1. Words that Create:
· Hebrews 11:3 - “By faith we understand the words were formed by the word of God”.
· Framed = 2675 = to put in order, arrange, make what ought to be, completely finished.
· The first recorded use of words = words used to create something visible.
· Jesus did exactly this when He blessed the loaves and fish – Mark 6:41
· He spoke creatively into them and released a creative miracle into the earth.
2. Words that Impart Life:
· John 6:63 - “The words I speak to you are spirit, they are life.
· Words are containers for what is in our spirit.
· When words are spoken their spirit content is felt – creates and impression.
· God uses words to nurture the spirit of people and to impart supernatural life.
· Jesus did this when He spoke to the man with the withered hand – Mark 3:5.
· He also did it when He spoke to discouraged disciples – Luke 4:32.
3. Words that Release Spiritual Authority:
· Luke 4:36 - “What a word is this, for with authority power He commands the unclean spirits and they come out”.
· Jesus spoke with authority – there was a weight, force behind His words.
· Jesus words released spiritual power that demons obeyed.
· Jesus spoke words to trees, storms, sickness, demons, dead men.
· His words carried a spiritual substance that altered the world around Him.
· He spoke words that He heard from His Father with faith they would work.
· We are called to imitate God:
- John 14:12 - He that believes in Me – the works that I do, he will do also”.
- Mark 1:22 - Have the faith of God – Who ever says to this mountain “Be removed and be cast into the sea and does not doubt in his heart….”
- God fully stands behind the words He speaks.
- We are designed to use words to create, impart life, release Spirit Power and Authority.
3. Don’t Speak Empty Words:
· We have looked at:
i) Lying Words ii) Gossip Words iii) Put Down Words
· These release a spirit of murder and death that impacts people.
· Matthew 12:34-37 - “Every idle word that men speak, they will give account”.
- Words we speak reveal who we are – “As good as his word”.
- Words we speak are noted, recorded and have significance in the spirit world.
· “Idle” = 692 = without work, barren, yielding no return.
- words that we spoke but did not mean it.
- Words that we spoke but did not intend to fulfill.
- Words that were insincere, not genuine.
- Empty words – without significance or substance or content.
· Examples of ‘Empty Words’ – they release a Spirit of Death:
· Death = distance, separation, coldness, distrust.
· Flattery = excessive or insincere praise.
= positive words spoken that conceal a hidden agenda.
· Agenda is usually to gain favour, gain knowledge, impress, please, placate.
· Proverbs 29:5 - “Men who flatters their neighbour spreads a net for feet”.
ii) Religious Words:
· Matthew 15:8 - Honour me with their lips but their heart is far from me”.
· Religious words – “sound nice”, “sound plausible” but have no spirit life.
· Saying the ‘right thing”.
iii) Lame excuses:
· 1 Samuel 15:24,25,30
· Lame excuse = failure to take responsibility and empty words to cover failure.
· Lame excuses for not coming to work, doing job, completing responsibility.
iv) Insincere Commitments:
· A commitment is a undertaking to fulfill some responsibility.
· E.g.: * Well meaning - meant to do it but forgot
* Vague - commitment lacks clarity
* Punctuality - commitment to be at place on time
* Reluctant - commitment under pressure – please
* Insincere - said to please person or get these ‘of
- said ‘Yes’ but really meant ‘No’.
4. Words Impact our World:
* Establish your character
* Establish your testimony as ambassador
* Establish standing before God
· Start small – repent of empty words – keep your word in small matters.
· Psalm 15:1-4 - Keep your commitments, honor your words.