13 May 2007
· Ephesians 6:2 - “Honor your father and mother which is the first command with a promise”.
· Honor = 5091 = to place value upon, hold in place of reputation, respect and consider precious.
· Mother Among us Today:
1) Young mother – 1st or 2nd child, body not own, busy.
2) Mother of Teens – Children changing, separating, challenged by attitudes, indifference.
3) Working Mothers – Trying to balance work, family, home, marriage.
4) Empty nest – Children have grown up and left home, separation.
5) Fulfilled Mothers – Invested in children and home, formed memories, good connection.
6) Mothers alone – no husband, divorced, death.
7) Abandoned Mothers – Father refused responsibility.
8) Empty arms – Child miscarried, died.
9) Grieving Mothers – Children hurt by father, gone astray.
10) Grand Mothers – Enjoying the next generation, mothers of mothers.
2. God’s Purpose for Mothers:
· Genesis 5:1-2 - “...He made him in the likeness of God; He created them male and female…”
· Likeness = 1819 = to be like, to resemble, to act like; pattern, resemblance.
· God created Adam and Eve to represent Him in the earth.
· Adam and Eve together reflect the nature and characteristics of God.
· Eve/woman reveal unique characteristics of God.
· Leviticus 19:3 - “You shall honor you father and mother and keep my Sabbath..”
· There is a close connection between relationship with parents and a relationship with God.
· How you relate to parents, attitude and conduct impacts the relationship with God.
· Honor = respect, reverence, recognise the proper power and position of your parent and give them proper respect and honor.
· Respect and honor of parent foundational to the right relationship with God.
3. 5 Needs met by a Mother:
i) Need for Safety:
· The world is big and dangerous to an infant.
· Safety is found in a mother – infant clings to mother, never far.
· The eyes of a child look to his/her mother.
· Mothers need to be predictable, stable, calm, danger free – without this a child is anxious.
· Proverbs 18:10 – “The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run into it and are safe”.
· God meets our need to be safe in life.
· To nurture = to feed, nourish.
· Human soul flourishes when nurtured and cared for.
· Nurture with love, touch, words, comfort.
· Without nurture the human soul withers – child feels abandoned.
· John 14:16 - “He will give you a comforter who shall remains with you”.
iii) Basic Trust:
· Trust is the ability to invest in relationships.
· Trust enables us to reach out to others, see others as a source of good things.
· When trust – invest self into relationship expecting good to come.
· Psalm 22:9 – “You made me trust while on my mother’s breast”.
· Every person needs to belong to some or something bigger than self.
· Belonging and love are at the root of relationships.
· Mothers make a child feel anted, loveable, and welcome by their nurture and care.
· Ephesians 3:17 – “Rooted and grounded in love...”
v) Someone to Love:
· Mother provides someone for the child to love, invest into.
· We are created not only to be loved but also to love.
· Proper development requires the child to express love.
· Mark 12:30 – Love the Lord with all your heart...”
4. How can you Honor Mother:
* Words – letter, card, spoken value * Seek her advice/talk over life
* Hugs – meaningful touch * Time/access to grandchildren
* Thanks – Appreciate for care/being there * Support as grow older
* Special gift * Honor her memory
- honor the one who created us.