· New Series based upon the book by John Bevere –“Bait of Satan”
· Opportunity to grow and mature in relationships.
· Opportunity to remove hidden walls and barriers in relationships
· Opportunity to recognise and overcome major strategy of the devil.
Luke 17:1. “It is impossible that no offenses should come.”
2. Offense is the Bait of a Trap.
· Offense = 4625 = Greek skandalon = a trap stick used in a trap
· Scandal = to offend by some action.
· 2 Tim 2:24-26 they that may escape the snare of the devil.
· Offenses are a bait – they draw people into a trap they do not see and hinder their relationships and ability to be productive.
· Are you offended? How would you know if you were?
3. Offenses Destroy Relationships.
Matthew 24:10. (In the last days) then shall many be offended and shall betray one another and shall hate one another.
· Note the progression; Offended = betrayal = Hatred.
Proverbs 18:19. A brother offended is harder to be won then a stony city.
· OT cities had walls around them to protect them from the enemies.
· Walls controlled entry of people into the city.
· Offenses build a wall around the heart to prevent further hurt.
· Walls – deny entry to people we fear will hurt us – we require a debt to be paid!
· Who are the people who offend you?
= to violate relationship, loyalty or allegiance
=3861=to surrender, give up, put into prison.
Ie. We are in covenant with Christ and with one another.
Covenant = agreement between two people – committed to relationship
Covenant breaking = betrayal of relationship
Eg. John12:4/13:27. Judas – offended = betrayal (revealed whereabouts)
Eg. Matthew 26:31. Disciples – offended – betrayal (abandoned)
Eg. 2Sam15. Absalom – offended = betrayed (ran down David)
Eg. 2 Sam 13:22. Absalom hated Amnon – spoke neither good nor bad.
Eg. Gen 37:4. Josephs brothers hated him – could not speak peaceably.
Eg. 2 Sam 13:15. Amnon hated Tamar – rejected/avoided her.
Eg. Prov 26:24. He that hates disguises it with his lips.
· 1 John 3:15. He that hates his brother is a murderer.
My soul is escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowler. The snare is broken, we are escaped – or help is in the name of the Lord.