Ephesians 6:2 “Honor you father and your mother - - - that it may be well with you and you may live long in the earth”.
· Honor = 5091= to prize, fix a high value upon, treat as precious.
· Special promises are given to those who respond to parents in a godly way.
· Honor => * must be given * It’s a choice * It is a gift
2. Women are Unique:
· Entrusted the ability to host a life – know how it feels to have another life develop within them.
· Ability to nurture a child in a way a man cannot.
· Crucial role of shaping a child during the first most impressive years.
· Women are important to God:
· First to receive revelation of god’s most sensitive secret plan. (salvation) – God entrusted a women with the secret.
· First protector of God’s secret plan.
· Great women in the Bible:
* Moses Mother * Esther
* Miriam * Sarah
* Rahab * Pricilla
* Deborah * Lydia
* Mary – first revelation of the resurrection.
- first evangelist.
* Mary – first revelation of death.
* Woman – revelation to Worship.
3. 5 Needs a Woman Meets:
What words come to mind when you think “Mother”?
· Isaiah 66:13 As one without his mother I will comfort you.
· Children have overwhelming needs/feelings.
· Need safety from a person who is stable, predictable, available.
· Proverbs 18:10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower – the righteous run into it and are safe”.
· Isaiah 49:15 “ Can a women forget her suckling child that she should not have compassion”
· Nurture = to feed, nourish.
· Nurture is food for the soul – words, touch, smile.
· Without nurture children wither and fail to thrive.
· Isaiah 49:16 Behold I have graven you on the palm of my hands.
· Love and care communicate to a child they are wanted.
· Feeling of being wanted comes through experience of being wanted into a relationship with other person.
(d) Basic Trust:
· Psalm 22:9 You did make me hope (trust) when I was upon my mothers breasts.
· Trust = ability to invest into relationship – must learn this.
· Trust enables us to reach out, depend, see others as a source of good.
· Trust nurtures the ability to enter into a intimate relationship.
(e) Someone to Love:
· 1 John 4:19 We love him because his first loved us.
· A child needs someone to love – emotional development.
· If the mother is safe – the child is able to love her – if not the child is overwhelmed with isolation and hate.
· Every need above is met through relationship with God himself.
(1) Married Mothers
* Young mothers
* Mothers with teens
* Mothers with grown children
* Grand mothers
(2) Mothers that are Alone
* Widows – lost companion
* Divorced – failed companion
* Solo – failed companion
(3) Mothers with empty arms
* Accidental death
* Children with father
(4) Missing Mothers
* Mother recently died
* Mother never connecting
Honor = Express value and appreciation through words, attitude and actions.