Contend for the Supernatural #6
“Releasing the Supernatural”
Matthew10:7-8 “Freely you have received – freely give”.
· Jesus commissioned his disciples (v51)
· The disciples received – received the ministry of the supernatural.
· Be responsible to give it away.
· Ministry of the Holy Spirit – deliverance, healing, giftings, breakthrough.
· Cannot manipulate God – called to co-labour with Him.
· It’s every believer’s privilege to be a channel of the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 12:7)
· Supernatural is associated with the proclaiming of the “Kingdom of God”.
2. God’s Spirit and the Human Spirit:
1 Corinthians 6:17 “He that is joined to the Lord is one Spirit”.
6:18 “Your body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit”.
(a) • Every person has a human spirit that is a distinct part of him.
• A Christian is able to exercise authority over his own spirit.
(1 Corinthians 12:7)
• When a person becomes a Christian the Holy Spirit enters him
- he becomes the “temple of God”.
• The Holy Spirit is a person – he can be quenched – he can be
Grieved. (Ephesians 4:30)
(b) • The Holy Spirit and the spirit of a Christian are joined
- a relationship.
• As you yield to the Holy Spirit you become one with Him
- flow of Supernatural life.
• As we yield to the prompting of the Holy Spirit – then the Spirit
can flow out.
• Releasing the human spirit then releases the Holy Spirit to flow
e.g. Preacher. e.g. Worship Leader.
(c) • If you want to release the presence of the Holy Spirit who dwells
within: (i) Must yield to Him – to his desires, will, presence.
(ii) Must release your own spirit.
• The moving of God’s Spirit within and through you is depended
on you and what you do? * Freely give? – anointing released
* Hold back? – Holy Spirit withheld
3. Your Heart is the key:
Proverbs 4:23 “Keep your heart with al diligence – out of it flow issues of life”.
· Heart => the core of a person => soul (mind, will, emotions) and spirit.
· Keep => 5341 = to guard, maintain, protect, watch.
· Your heart condition determines the flow of the spiritual life from within.
a) Your Spiritual Energy can be increased:
Ephesians 3:16 “… strengthened with might by the Spirit in the inner man”.
· Strengthened = 2900 = to empower, to be increased with strength and energy.
· Might = 1411 = miraculous strength or ability powers dominion.
· Holy Spirit can empower and energize your spirit, impact giftings,
- NB. Can be seen in a face. (Confidence)
E.g. Samson E.g. David E.g. Pentecost
· This happens as we draw from Him through prayer/yielding (1 Corinthians 3:13) Focus on Purposes of God.
b) Your Spiritual Energy can be decreased:
(i) By Activity of Evil Spirits:
Ephesians 6:12 “Wrestle not against flesh and blood – spiritual powers”.
· As you encounter evil spirits – your spirit recoils, is wrecked.
· When there’s a strong spiritual oppression many lose strength. (1 Kings 19)
(ii) By Sin:
Romans 3:23 “Wages of sin is death”.
· Sin creates inner turmoil and grieves the Holy Spirit.
· Consequence is loss of spiritual life and energy.
(iii) By Internal Disunity:
Matthew 12:25 “….house divided against itself cannot stand”.
· Divided = to be in disunity.
· E.g: Doubts; Mindsets; emotional hurts; fears; wrong thinking.
· Grief; low esteem; lack of focus – not clear gaols and
· All these block the flow of spiritual life and energy.
4. Releasing the Supernatural:
John 7:37 “Out of your belly shall flow rivers of water”.
(a) Spirit Life flow out of people like a river.
· Shows on countenance – 1st place to be seen.
· Envelopes and surrounds every person.
· Can be “sensed” by others e.g.
– someone tries to sneak up” – “feel” (can feel them).
- someone stares at you – “feel it”.
(b) Spirit Life is unique to every person – influences others.
E.g. *Very angry => caution!
* Sexual vibes => attract
* Self pity => demanding
* Very calm => peace
* Sports event => excitement
* Arrogant attitude => in fear
* Judgemental Attitude => condemned
* Animals sense relax/alert
(c) The Heart is the Key: (Philippians 1:7)
(i) Focus - Whenever you direct your heart your spirit follows
too. E.g. Purpose
(ii) Acceptance of Personal Responsibility – your spirit flows too.
E.g. “My Space” – person steps into it by react.