Contend for the Supernatural #2
“Building an Atmosphere for Miracles”
Jude 1:3 - - “Earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered to the saints”
· “Earnestly contend” = 1864 = epagonizomai = to struggle, contend or fight an adversary for a prize.
· Faith = Doctrine and Power that was entrusted to the early church.
· Delivered = 3860 = to entrust something precious, to commit e.g. like baton in relay.
· There is resistance and opposition to the church moving in the Supernatural Power of God.
1 Corinthians 4:20 “The Kingdom of God is not in word but in Power.”
· The ministry of Paul was not just knowledge but in demonstration of the Power of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 2:4)
· Bible knowledge puffs people up with pride – we must have the power of the Holy Spirit transforming us.
· God does not change - God of Yesterday did great miracles.
- Jesus is the same Today (Hebrew 13:8)
- Jesus still does Miracles.
· Miracles are part of God’s plan and provision for your life to make impact.
· Don’t draw back from disappointment, discouragement – stir self – contend!
Genesis 21:14 – 19 Hagar sat alone in the desert, weeping with despair, son dying of thirst – “And God opened her eyes and she saw a well of water . . . .”
· Miracle of provision was just beyond her reach, hidden out of sight.
· Faith enables us to see beyond circumstances to hidden provision of God.
· We must open our eyes, ears, spirit man to hear and see what God has.
2. Miracles flourish in a strong Spiritual Atmosphere:
· Definition: The mass of air around us, a prevailing influence.
· Natural atmosphere e.g. humid = invisible environment that effects us - air and water.
· Atmosphere can be polluted and have a harmful affect on us.
· All living things need an environment that favours then flourishing.
· Atmosphere can be built:
e.g. Romantic – subdued lights, candles, water.
- music, meal.
(b) Spiritual Atmosphere:
· Definition: The surrounding spiritual influences that prevail to affect and influence people.
· Spiritual atmospheres are filled with spiritual substance: Demonic or Holy Spirit.
· The Spiritual atmosphere can be “heavy”, “oppressive”, “and resistant to miracles”.
· The prevailing spiritual atmosphere over a city affects thinking of all who dwell in it.
· Spiritual atmosphere can be resistant to miracles.
Mark 6:5 “He could do no mighty work ....” - Unbelief
Mark 6:44 “And those who ate of the loaves – 5000 men
Mark 6:56 “And as many as touched him were made whole!”
(c) Spiritual Atmosphere can be Built:
· Matthew 11:12 “The Kingdom of heaven suffers violence – violent - take it by force.
· Violence = 971 = to exert effort, be forcible, overcome spiritual resistance.
· There is strong opposition to Kingdom of God manifesting miracles resistance.
· People can arise and alter the spiritual atmosphere so miracles can be released.
3. Building an Atmosphere for Miracles:
(i) Strong Desire:
1 Corinthians 12:3 “Covet earnestly the best gifts”
· Covet earnestly = 2206 = to burn with passion or longing for something valuable.
· E.g. “Gold Fever”
· Must pursue God with passion – must long to see His power released.
· Hunger for God and hunger for His power to manifest.
· Position yourself so you can receive from the Men of God by impartation.
· Mark 11:23 “Whatsoever things you desire when you pray – believe.
(ii) Fervent Prayer and Fasting:
James 5:16 “…the fervent effectual prayer of a righteous man avails much”
· Fervent = passionate, zealous, on fire, intense.
· Releases much power into the earth when praying fervently in harmony of the Word.
· Focus on Prayer: Intimacy and the Kingdom of God will be coming forth.
· Prayer and Fasting released miracle power in Jesus’ life. Luke 4:14
· Prayer and Fasting released the power to break bondages. Matthew 17:21
(iii) Faith – Believing heart:
Mark 9:23 “If you can believe – all things are possible to him that believes”.
John 14:12 “He that believes in Me – the works I do shall he do also”.
Mark 16:17 “These signs follow them that believes”.
· It is easy to become discouraged, disappointed and gripped with unbelief.
· The Western Church is full of unbelief and cynicism.
(iv) Confessing the Word of God:
Mark11:23 “Whosoever shall speak to this mountain be removed”.
· Whatever is in your heart will overflow out of your mouth. (Matthew 12:34)
· It takes time and effort to fill your heart with the will of God – Meditation!
· You must learn to agree on the Word of God and speak it forth.
· Hebrew 10:38 “Hold fast the confession of our faith without wearing”.
(v) Practicing the Presence of God:
(v, vi, vii - to continue on next teaching)