· Greatness in Kingdom of God Ž serving.
· One quality can have unlimited capacity – faithfulness.
· May differ in giftings and opportunities but can excel in faithfulness.
· Jesus teaching on faithfulness (Lk 16).
· Background: Lk 15 Pharisee’s complain – Jesus teaches heart of God for lost.
Lk 16 Jesus teaching disciples – faithfulness with resources.
Lk 16 Pharisee’s reaction – Jesus teaches on Heaven and Hell.
2. Parable – Unjust Steward
· Parable = story with hidden truth or brought alongside to explain.
· Steward – unfaithful – wasted resources of master.
· Consequence – loss of job, uncertain future.
· Unfaithful – defrauded master to provide for self.
· Master – commends, not for fraud but for thinking ahead.
· vs 9 Jesus does not commend – waste, fraud, using money to buy way into heaven.
· Jesus teaches – faithfulness as a steward (vs 10-13)
· Faithfulness = evidence of quality of persons relationship with God.
(i) small things
(iii) another mans
3. Characteristics of Faithfulness
(i) Quality required of all God’s servants (1 Cor 4:2).
(ii) Discovered by inspection (1 Cor 4:2) and open to correction.
(iii) Consistent – not erratic; faithful = ‘trustworthy’ (Ct Prov 25:19).
(iv) Shows initiative to become productive (Matt 25:16).
(v) Quality that is hard to find:
· Prov 20:6 Why hard to find? People preoccupied with self.
Most = multitude, majority people self-centred.
Proclaim = let people know, promote self.
Faithfulness – doesn’t promote self – genuine concern for others.
· Phil 2:20-21 All seek their own!
· Naturally = genuine, sincere, no hidden agenda.
· Faithful man – doesn’t promote self, have hidden agenda to gain advantage.
· Faithful man – has Kingdom of God mindset. How can cause of Christ be advanced.
· vs 1 Faithfulness = quality of heart – developed in practical things and affection for what doing.
4. Faithful in that which is least!
Lk 16:10 Faithful in that which is least Ž also in much.
· People tend to seek the great things and overlook the small.
· Faithfulness in small things qualifies for greater.
· That which is least.
(i) Small practical tasks:
· 1 Cor 15:46 First that which is natural then that which is Spirit.
· Take responsibility for small matters?
· Are tasks completed? On time?
· Are small tasks done with excellence?
· Is there initiative? Act and then report?
· Is there openness for inspection without reaction?
Matt 12:34 What comes out of mouth is sourced in heart!
Once words are spoken Ž responsible to be faithful.
a. Faithful to your own words
· Guard against empty words. (Matt 12:36)
· Stand behind words you speak, even if it costs. (Ps 15:4)
· Fulfil the commitments. (Jer 1:12)
b. Faithful to words of others
· Confidentiality with secrets. (Prov 11:13)
· Refusing gossip/evil report. (Prov 18:8, Ps 15:3)
· Responds to words of instruction. (2 Tim 2:2)
Prov 28:20 A faithful man shall abound with blessings.