FAITHFUL IN ANOTHER MAN’S
1. Introduction: 2 Foundation Values
· Gal 5:13 “You have been called into liberty … by love serve one another”.
· Liberty (Strongs 1657) – unrestrained freedom, no longer a slave, free to go at pleasure.
· Every Christian’s calling is to be free from all kinds of slavery.
· One condition essential to maintain that liberty – must learn to serve in love.
· Condition human heart born into world – self centred Ž “Give me”, “I want”.
· If don’t have heart change then come into bondage to self.
· Example: Marriage - It’s your job to meet my needs.
Church - Feed me, take care of my needs, solve my problems.
God - Bless me, meet my needs.
· Fallen condition: It’s all about ME!
· If basic orientation in life is about getting, then we limit and destroy own potential.
· True freedom: By love (motivating force) serve one another.
· Can give without loving but can never love without giving.
· 2 Cor 8:5 (1st) Gave themselves to the Lord.
(2nd) Gave themselves to serving by will of God.
· 2 foundation values of Kingdom of God Ž (1) Serving (2) Faithfulness
2. How To Get To The Top – Who Will Be Greatest?
· Mark 9:32-35 Disputed among themselves – “who should be greatest”!
· Dispute (Strongs 1260) – to bring together different reason, debate, argue.
· Greatest – most imminent or important.
· Desire in the heart of every person to be significant – for life to count.
· Desire (Strongs 2309) – to choose, determine, resolve, set direction in life.
· Jesus did not rebuke the desire to be great – explained how to do it.
· Must make a choice, determine, set the direction of your life.
· Servant (Strongs 1249) – deacon – wait on tables, to run errands. Person who watches out for needs and attends to them.
· Greatness in Kingdom: Learn to serve Father and serve others.
· Great in God’s eyes? Stop demanding – become a servant.
· Example: Paul
Rom 1:1 - Paul – a servant of Jesus called to be an apostle.
Tit 1:1 - Paul – a servant of God and apostle of Jesus Christ.
1 Cor 9:19 - Though free from all men – yet have I made myself servant to
all that I might gain the more.
· Matt 20:20-27 Not so among you – whosoever will be great – servant.
· Disciples desired to be great – position in coming kingdom.
· Given by Father – to those deserving of it.
· cf John 12:26 If any man serve Me, him will My Father honour.
John 3:30 He must increase – I must decrease. John the Baptist.
· Indignation (Strongs 23) – much grief, to be greatly irritated. Feeling of strong mixed emotions of anger and contempt.
· World: People want position, power, control over others – conscious of position. I am now over 50 people.
· Kingdom: Now I have 50 people to serve – totally different attitude!
· Greatness Ž Servant (Strongs 1249) – to attend, wait on tables.
· vs 28 Note: No expectations of being served (Strongs 1401) – one who gives himself up to will of another.
· Unmet expectations Ž frustration, irritation, anger, resentment.
3. Token Of Greatness – Servants Towel
· John 13:1-17 Do you know what I have done to you? (vs 12).
· Better way! Way greatly blessed by God – become servant of Father and a servant to people. (a) Help me! (b) How can I help?
· Footwasher failed – Jesus did it – showed the way to the top!
· vs 14 I have given you an example – to show before your eyes as instruction.
· If I your Lord (Strongs 2962) – supreme in authority. You also ought!
· 2 categories: (1) Jesus – superior (2) Disciples – inferior.
· Superior must bend to serve the lesser!
· Feet: lowest place in body; exposed to dirt, dust, mud, droppings.
· Easy to see the failures, lacks, and reject and despise people.
· Footwash = job of servant, bow down and minister to others needs.
· Servant heart not seen in the success stories, glamour, attention. Seen when willing to come down to dirtiest parts and clean.
· Mark 6:36 Send them away! (disciples) – “You give them” (Jesus) Ž Draw upon God’s resources.
· People – hurting, dirty, embarrassment, failed Ž Serve them!
· Must look past failures, dirt, and see potential – what could be.
· Don’t focus on faults and talk behind back, laugh at them.
· Become servant to them – see what they could be.
· Example: Dirty rough fisherman? Ž Apostles, pioneers, martyrs.
· Jesus at cross: (i) servant of Father – do His will.
(ii) servant to men – carried their sin/shame. Faithful as Son over
His home. Heb 3:5
· Jesus was servant and was faithful – finished what Father gave Him to do. John 17:4
· Church: needs servants of God.
· World: needs servants of God.
· Phil 2:9 Therefore God has highly exalted Him.
What are the most original excuses you have heard or used for not helping out?
1. Have you ever felt that living as a Christian restricted your freedom?
2. In what ways do you enjoy more freedom now than before you became a Christian?
3. Why do many of us have the attitude that serving others is a burden, not a joy?
· See Matt 16:25
4. In what ways are you hindered from serving others?
5. How can you remove or minimise that hindrance?